Classes of 2021, 2022 and 2023,
Over the last few weeks we have repeatedly emphasized our two priorities:
- The health and safety of all of USAFA
- Graduating the Class of 2020
As Lt Gen Jay Silveria is currently telling the Class of 2020, we are moving our first class cadets to graduation and commissioning as rapidly as possible. Graduation is now set for April 18.
This decision causes a few immediate changes to your course of study:
- Your Core classes will pause until 13 April.
- Lower class non-core courses that do NOT have first class cadets will pause until April 13.
- And here's where it gets complicated, if you have any non-core classes with Firsties, that course may continue. Your instructor will let you know the new schedule and it may start on April 1. Be ready!!
The following table illustrates this:
C/O 2021 - 2023
- Majors Classes required for C/O 2020 that have lower class cadets
- Department Head discretion on C/O 2021-2023 continuation of classes with C/O 2020 or to pause until Apr 13, check with your instructor
- Majors classes with no C/O 2020 cadets paused until April 13
- Core Classes paused until April 13
- The academic schedule for the lower three classes will be adjusted to finish on Lesson T39 on May 22 and finals week May 26-29. All finals will be remote. Lower three classes will not be returning to USAFA in May (unless of course their home situation has changed and they need a place to stay they can always return early). We will have a revised academic schedule out as soon as possible.
So what will you do between now and April 13:
- Keep studying. Your professors may be sending assignments over the next two weeks so that you don't get rusty!
- Work ahead. Remote classes are challenging.start writing that paper or working on your final project!
- Read for fun. Yes the Dean and Chief's Reading list is still alive and well!
- And take a breath. Take some time to rest, play some games with your family, and reach out to the Class of 2020 and tell them how you are supporting them!
I will be in touch soon! Until then, stay healthy!
LINELL A. LETENDRE
Brigadier General, USAF
Dean of the Faculty, U.S. Air Force Academy